Matthew 7:24-29 (ANIV)
24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”
28 When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, 29 because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law.
TIME OF DAY:
Unspecified by the text. I have set the time at mid morning.
The sun is on the left of the scene, producing light tones on the left of objects, & shadows on the right. You can see cast shadows of the trees, rocks & people.
The Wise Builder, dressed in blue outer robe, carrying a red stone.
The Foolish Builder, dressed in green, standing by his finished house.
Matthew chapters 05:01–08:01 is called “the Sermon on the Mount” because Jesus gave it on a hillside near Capernaum, which was a city on the north coast of the Sea of Galilee (Lake Kinneret.) This sermon probably covered several days of preaching, if not more & the content was probably repeated (at least in part) by Jesus many times, as the message contained in the sermon is central to the gospel message.
This is the third scene in this series of 6 that tells the parable (story) of the Wise & Foolish Builders.
In this scene we see that the Foolish Builder has finished his new home & is looking a bit smug about it, perhaps gesturing “Come on, I’m finished!” to the Wise Builder, who is still carting stone to his incomplete home. Notice that the storm clouds are gathering though.
Things to notice/look out for, in this series.
1) There is a storm approaching. Gradually the clouds change, as we progress from scene 01 (calm weather, fluffy white clouds) to scene 04 & 05 (deep grey, rain filled storm clouds) back to the calm of the storm passing in scene 06. There is no rain falling in scene 01, but scenes 02-06 all have rain.
Scene 04 & 05 also have lightning in the sky.
2) Wind. In scene 01 there is little wind. As the scenes progress, & the storm arrives, the wind increases until it is hurricane force in scene 04 & 05! It dies to a light breeze again in scene 06.
3) The colour of the sky, & the ground changes. In scene 01 there is full sunlight, producing intense colours throughout the scene. As the storm clouds approach they progressively block out the sun & a darker, more menacing colouration covers the landscape, from scene 02-05. The darkest shadows & gloomiest colours are seen in scene 04 & 05. Whilst scene 06 sees a return to brighter colours, as the storm passes.
4) Stream & waterfall. In the first scene there is no stream. In scenes 02 the rain has created a small stream flowing in the left foreground, with a little waterfall. In subsequent scenes the stream swells as the rains fall more heavily, until the whole foreground is a mass of churning water in scene 05! In scene 06 the stream has returned to a gentler flow.
5) The Builders. In scene 01, we can see the Wise Builder standing on the red sandstone rocks, wielding a hammer & chisel, to carve out a foundation for his stone house. The Foolish Builder is taking the easier option of simply digging holes in the sand for his house.
In scene 02 & then 03, the Foolish Builder finishes his house sooner than the Wise Builder, as he makes his house out of wood, simply by inserting the upright timbers into the holes he has dug in the sand. The Wise Builder takes much longer to complete his house, because he has to cut the foundations out of the solid rock & labouriously stacked the red stones to build his house. Initially it might seem like the Foolish Builder is clever, since he finishes soonest, however, when the storm comes, his house is the one which falls! So quicker isn’t always better!
Here’s the scene without the figures.
Matthew 07 – Parable of wise and foolish builders – Scene 03 – Foolish man finished – Landscape