Book type: Prophets (Minor)
Author: Zechariah, son of Berekiah, the son of Iddo.
No. of chapters: 14
Key character(s): God, Zechariah.
Brief description: Zechariah – Prophesy through purification.
01) God’s ways are just (1:1-6)
02) God promises prosperity to his people (1:7-2:13)
03) God calls his people to purification (3:1-6:15)
04) God seeks righteousness, not ritual (7:1-14)
05) God in his jealousy restores his faithful remnant (8:1-23)
06) God controls the future for his people (9:1-11:17)
07) God purges & delivers his people (12:1-14:21)
Zechariah means “Jehovah is renowned” &/or “Jehovah is remembered” in Hebrew.
Zechariah ministered in the early days after the exile (539-520 BC). Along with Haggai, Zechariah flourished between 520-518 BC, urging the people of Judah to:
01) Rebuild the Temple under the leadership of Zerubbabel.
02) Reestablish a purified priesthood under Joshua.
03) Cast off foreign influences on their religious life.
04) Live proper, moral lives.
Zechariah brought new hope & a new plan of action to the early post-exilic community by teaching his people a number of lessons about God & his relationship to them:
01) Prophets bring God’s revelation.
02) God expects morality, not sin.
03) Salvation is offered to all.
04) God is sovereign.
Zechariah confirms that:
01) The message of God revealed through his spokesman remains as valid for later generations as it was for the generations who heard the prophets.
02) God expects sincere worship & moral living of us today.
03) Zechariah’s insistence that proper living & worship would bring God’s blessing remains as relevant today as it was to the prophet’s community.
04) Zechariah’s example of breaking though national prejudice reminds us to reach out into all areas of our society. We must extend God’s invitation to salvation to people of all national origins, languages, races & cultures.
[Source: NIV Disciple’s Study Bible]
Zechariah 1:3 (ANIV)
Therefore tell the people: This is what the Lord Almighty says: ‘Return to me,’ declares the Lord Almighty, ‘and I will return to you,’ says the Lord Almighty.
Zechariah 4:6 (ANIV)
So he [the angel who talked with me] said to me, “This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel: ‘Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,’ says the Lord Almighty.
Zechariah 9:9 (ANIV)
Rejoice greatly, O Daughter of Zion! Shout, Daughter of Jerusalem! See, your king comes to you, righteous and having salvation, gentle and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey.