Book type: History
Author: Ezra or Nehemiah?
No. of chapters: 13
Key character(s): God, Nehemiah, Ezra. 
Brief description: Nehemiah – Rebuilding the walls of Jerusalem.
01) God’s work must be done (1:1-7:73)
02) God way must include revival & reformation (8:1-13:31)
Nehemiah means “Comforted by Jehovah”, “Consolation” &/or “repentance of the Lord” in Hebrew.
Ezra & Nehemiah are a profound encouragement to God’s people to magnify worship as supremely important, to encourage the need for & use of God’s Word as the only authoritative rule for living, & to be concerned about the image God’s people give the world.
Ezra & Nehemiah are historical books that contain the last century of Israel’s history that the Bible records.
Originally Nehemiah was combined with Ezra in a single book. By the 3rd century AD the accounts had been separated into 2 books.
Whilst Ezra begins with the first group of exiles to return from Babylonian exile (538 BC); Nehemiah concludes with the last group (432 BC.)
Ezra & Nehemiah inform us of these essential doctrines:
01) God’s Word is trustworthy & essential for faith.
02) Worship is necessary for God’s people.
03) God’s disciples obey him.
04) God gives his people leaders.
05) Opponents hinder God’s work.
06) Prayer is our response to God’s presence.
07) God is sovereign [supreme ruler, monarch.]
[Source: NIV Disciple’s Study Bible]
Fuller list of major characters in the book of Nehemiah:
|Nehemiah||Son of Hachaliah. In the 20th year of Artaxerxes, king of Persia, Nehemiah was cup-bearer to the king. Artaxerxes sent him to Judah as governor. He defied opposition & rebuilt the walls within 52 days.|
|Ezra||Son of Seriah (descendent of Aaron the priest.) Returned from the Babylonian exile during the reign of Artaxerxes and reintroduced the Torah in Jerusalem (Ezra 7-10 and Nehemiah 8).|